Phase 3 of my Toxic Purge: ASPERTAME

Phase 3
No More Poison

TAB, Apsartame, Sweet-n-low, Diet Pepsi, Crystal Light, Splenda, Diet Coke.  What do these things have in common? Poison.  

When I stopped drinking alcohol, my easy go-to drink was a Diet Pepsi.  Everyone else would have their beers or glasses of wine, and I would grab my Diet Pepsi and sip away.  After all, you get free refills when you're out a restaurant! Keep 'em coming!! 

For YEARS, I would drink 1 Diet Pepsi every single day at 10:30 in the morning. Every. Single. Day.  You could set your clock by it.  Sure enough, 10:30 would roll around and I'd start craving my bubbly fix.  Usually I would only drink about 3/4 of the can, but still.  I had one every single day.  When I would go out in the evening with friends, Diet Pepsi was my drink of choice.  We would frequent a pizza place in town and the bartender would have my DP ready for me the minute I walked in.

 I toggled between Diet Pepsi and Crystal Light as my preferred drinks. I knew it probably wasn't good for me.  I justified this by saying "it's just one a day" (unless of course it was Friday or Saturday night).  I also justified it by saying that I could be pouring worse things into my body (like alcohol...).  Dress it up however you want, artificial sweeteners are just plain bad for you.  

A few years ago, I developed a rash all across my back.  For the life of me I couldn't figure out what was causing it.  I went to my doctor, who sent me to an allergist, I also went to a Naturopath and a dermatologist, nobody could pinpoint what was causing this rash.  Finally, after months and months of doctors and creams and diet changes, I decided to give up artificial sweeteners to see if that might be the culprit.  Wouldn't you know.  Once I eliminated all artificial sweeteners from my diet, the rash on my back finally went away.  One more item added to the toxic purge list.  My beloved Diet Pepsi & Crystal Light.  Phase 3 of my toxic purge - so long, aspartame and poisonous chemicals.  Hello YETI tumbler with ice cold water.


Comments