Phase 6 of my Toxic Purge: PROCESSED FOODS

Phase 6
No More Fake Food


Fake food.  Think about that.  FAKE. FOOD.  Twinkies, Pop Tarts, Blue Gatorade, Candy, Velveeta, slowly these delicious imposters wormed their way into our lives.  I remember as a kid, Velveeta was the ONLY way to have a grilled cheese sandwich.  Cheddar cheese on my grilled cheese was just plain yucky compared to the creamy deliciousness of Velveeta! Pop Tarts and cereal were staples for breakfast, and Hamburger Helper was a regular on our dinner table.  You may not realize it at the time, but once you step outside the aisles of a grocery store, you discover just how much junk you are consuming.  Aisle after aisle after aisle - the processed food never seems to end.  It's funny how clear your view becomes once you start only shopping the outskirts of the aisles.

I once heard a saying that you can eat whatever you want, as long as it's "real food".  This one took me a while but I've finally set the rule for myself that I was done with processed foods.  No more cereal.  No more protein bars.  No more quick dinners.  Time to get back to eating REAL FOOD.

So, what does my day look like now?
Breakfast: 2 eggs and 1/2 avocado, coffee with heavy cream.
Lunch: Salad with shrimp, almonds and Bleu Cheese dressing from the natural selection.
Dinner: Chicken and steamed broccoli or salmon with a salad or asparagus. Keep it real.
Snack: I keep fresh fruit and veggies on hand (limiting the fruit - just a taste). I also nibble on almonds or tuna.

Recently I was pumping gas and saw a poster promoting the snacks inside the gas station.  NOTHING about this ad made me want to eat that crap. Looking at this animated character composed of candy, chips, cookies, hot dogs, cinnamon rolls and CRAP food, it literally made my stomach churn. I'm officially and forever done with fake foods.






Comments