Phase 2 of my Toxic Purge: CHOCOLATE

TOXIC PURGE Phase 2
So long, Agustus Gloop

My name is Heather, and I'm a chocoholic.

Some people can have a little nibble of chocolate and push it away.  Well, I am not like "some people".  There is nothing dainty about the way I consumed chocolate.  I would often stop at a gas station - sometimes twice in a day - to get my chocolate fix.  Chocolate could be found in multiple drawers of my kitchen, in addition to the obvious pantry and fridge. My mom had a chocolate chip drawer growing up, so of course I did too. As did my sister. One year my husband was given a HUGE (and by HUGE, I mean 4' long) box of chocolates from his office.  He brought them home to me and I hurried them up to my craft room and locked the door.  NOBODY was going to get my prized box of chocolates! Every meal needed to be followed by having "just a little something sweet" which usually meant a bag of M&M's or handful of chocolate chips. My addiction to chocolate was truly out of control.  I had a love/hate relationship with my chocolate. I LOOOVVVED it so much, but I hated how it had such a hold over me.

Phase 2 of my toxic purge was removing chocolate from my diet.  I honestly didn't think I could do this.  Now that I had been alcohol free for 2 years, giving up my next favorite thing seemed absurd.  But it had to be done.  I had what I called a "sugar muscle" in the back of my neck which seemed to act up every time I ate chocolate.  It felt as if someone was wringing this one muscle that ran along my spine.  I knew it was directly related to my chocolate consumption because it flared up every single time I ate chocolate.  I was ready for the pain to stop.  I also knew I was teetering on becoming type 2 diabetic.  My numbers were high and I was warned to cut back on my sugar intake.  I knew chocolate was the culprit.  I wouldn't stop at a gas station to get Skittles or Sweet Tarts, only chocolate.  Chocolate had to go.

Just like alcohol, I began to romanticize chocolate and play out in my head how I would NEVER have my mom's Christmas fudge again.  Or I would think about those decadent chocolate cakes nice restaurants serve, or warm chocolate chip cookies, or Halloween candy.  Was I really ready to NEVER have those things again?  Well just like they say in AA - one day at a time.  One day chocolate free turned into 2.  Then it was a week.  Next thing you know, it had been a month,  Then six. One year chocolate free then turned into two, and before I knew it, I had gone 5 years with NO CHOCOLATE.  And I mean NO chocolate.  Not even licking my fingers when I made brownies for my family.  Not one single chocolate chip which would fall out of the bag, or an M&M in a handful of trail mix.  Zero chocolate.

How does it feel being chocolate and alcohol free?  Liberating.  It feels absolutely liberating.  I can walk past a bowl of candy on someone's desk and know I will not take a piece.  I can look at the desserts offered and know chocolate is off the table.  I didn't say no to ALL sugar, just chocolate.  Trust me, I found alternatives. They were a good crutch for a while, but their days were numbered too.


Comments